[Tango-L] "Alternative" Music....

Kat hellkat_13 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 24 08:38:59 EST 2007

So after a bit more sleep, and with a bit less fire in
my belly, I thought I should point out that I am not
ignorant of what tango "is" or of it's legitimate
history, but was making fun of the absolutes that nina
and huck were speaking in.

In truth, I only danced close embrace, primarily to
traditional, golden age music, until about six months
ago.  i've hardly chucked tradition to reinvent the
dragon i've been chasing.  I just think people need to
be a little bit more flexible.

My personal preference is to dance with people that
are laid back and fun.  who do not take themselves too
seriously, and can laugh and be my friend, as well as
have some soul, be creative, and surprise me when they
are dancing.  In my experience, the tucked out shirt,
cargo pants crowd is much better at establishing that
feeling.  I didn't get into this for pomp, I got into
it for a feeling, and I think that the people who are
preoccupied with rules lose all the genuine feeling in
their dance.  they make a lot of faces that are
supposed to communicate what that feeling is supposed
to be, but i rarely get the transmission.

There are rules in tango that I respect.  Things that
make sense, like staying to the perimeter and
following the line of dance - so the leader can see!
Certain aspects of the embrace - because it makes it
more comfortable and flexible.  Or apologizing after a
collision - because to do anything else would be rude.
 So I do apologize for being rude.  It was
unnecessary, but it was also a response to the
presumptuous rudeness of others.

In any case, don't worry, I'm not coming to your town
to pollute your aryan tango.  I don't want it.  i'd
much rather have dirty, sloppy, broken tango with some
balls.  you don't have to want that, either!  but you
sure as hell can't convince me that i can't have it,
or that it doesn't exist, or that I need to rename it
for you.

Kat

ps - (fwiw, I never call it "Argentine")