[Tango-L] "Alternative" Music....

Nina Pesochinsky nina at earthnet.net
Fri Feb 23 17:05:24 EST 2007

Hi, Jay,

I will answer each one of your questions according to my experience.

> Do not many Argentines dance tango steps to non-tango  or pop music?

Correct.  Almost no one does it.  Those who do, do not call it
Argentine Tango.

> Can you say that these generally younger Argentines  did not
> originate the practice?

Correct.  They did not.  The very first time that the possibility of
tango being danced to anything other than tango was presented by
Daniel Trenner and Rebecca dancing to piece by Bob Telson in 1997-1998
or so.  Argentines frowned on it.

> Do you have evidence in the history  of the evolution of the
> non/neo-tango music phenomenon to justify  your contention that it
> is "foreigners" who have started this  behavior?

There is a video of Daniel and Rebecca dancing to Bob Telson.  Also, I
was there when this phenomena had began, was a part of it, danced it
every which way and felt pleased with myself for being so "radical".
Argentines continued to frown on it, but I did not care then.  We even
tried to do it in BsAs when we (me and my European roommates) lived
there in the late 90s and we embarassed ourselves terribly trying to
dance tango to rock-and-roll when it was played in the milongas.  So,
the evidence is the actual experience.

Not, the whole thing just makes me laugh.  When people begin to do
tango moves to non-tango music with an air of artistic avant-guard, I
realize how stupid we looked then and feel sorry for these people now.
  But eventually they will learn, I have no doubt about it.

Did I answer all your questions?

Best regards,

Nina

              J         TangoMoments.com