[Tango-L] alternative music. tango metre.

anfractuoso anfractuoso anfractuoso at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 16:31:02 EST 2007

Hello,

I don't think this is correct. I am not certain what 2x4 and 4x4
means, but I will assume it is referring to time signature like 2/4
and 4/4.

Time signature has very little to do with how tango changed or feels
like. Yes, historically there have been attempts (in music in general)
to construct a robust and unambiguous 'mapping' between a time
signature and a host of implications on how the music should be played
and felt. These attempts have never been completely successful, nor
are they needed since the composer can always write notes on what he
intended.

We do know what tango sounded like before around 1920. It had a
habanera rhythm pattern (and was traditionally written in 2/4 time
signature).

Since 1920 tango straightened the rhythm pattern so it became straight
4, or straight 2 a bit later with Di Sarrli and Pugliese. You could
see a tendency of the sheet music for the 'straightened' tango to be
written in 4/8 (not 4/4), but there are also many example of keeping
the same time signature of 2/4 as before, despite making the changes
to the musical form.

Cheers