[Tango-L] "Alternative" Music....

DayLightPix daylightpix at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 23 14:48:30 EST 2007

Definition of alternative music differs depends on who
you ask. For many, there is a wide range of music
suitable for tango dancing that encompassing a
spectrum:

Classic tango songs by classic tango orchestras on one
end, while non-tango songs not-made-for-tango-dancing,
which may be suitable for dancing is on the other end,
and other variety of music in the middle. People’s
opinions differ on what’s danceable/alternative. For
some people, only alternative music are danceable,
while the really traditionists do not want to hear
anything but music older than 50 years and alternative
music are definitely not danceable. Most people are in
the middle.

Nobody is wrong for having their personal choices,
it’s just that people have different tastes and
expectations. Before the flame wars, consider this:
the more range of music there is, more people will be
interested in dancing, the larger the group, the more
potential there is for better dancers. The energy
discussing your own one-sided opinion, not facts, can
be better spent enjoying yourself, or to promote your
favorite kind of tango to get more people started with
dancing tango. Or go DJ yourself and see how people
like your music.

Anyway, here is what I think of the danceability
spectrum, in a very rough order.

-Classic tango songs by classic tango orchestras
-Classic tango songs played almost note for note by
more recent or current orchestras
-New compositions of argentine tango music following
classic tango rules with tempo and feeling familiar to
classic tangos,
-Classic tango songs arranged for non-typical-tango
instruments,
-Classic songs arranged differently but with
underlying melody by non-golden age orchestras.
-New compositions of argentine tango music with new
tempo and new feeling, but incorporating some elements
of classic tangos.
-Non-traditional tango music made for dancing
-Non-tango music not made for tango dancing (but
danceable by majority of dancers)
-Non-tango music not made for tango dancing (but
viewed undanceable by overwhelming majority of
dancers)
-And beyond danceable, Challenging to dance to songs
by classic tango orchestras or musicians of any
period, for example, songs by classic tango orchestras
for listening. Almost no dancers can dance to these
songs.

People are always going to have different opinions of
what’s traditional music and what’s alternative music.
Like any kind of art, there is evolution as more ideas
are introduced. The music selection cannot stand
still.

Anyway, I think DJs should find the audience’s taste,
and play something suitable for the audience, but not
the same-old-same-old.

David
www.tangolounge.org