[Tango-L] "Alternative" Music....

m i l e s miles at tangobliss.com
Fri Feb 23 13:22:09 EST 2007

Hi,

When I hear the term..."Alternative Music" what goes through my mind
is a series of songs that you wouldn't ordinarily dance tango, vals
or milonga to...but you can, if you stretch your mind a bit...and
hear the beat, the rhythm, the opportunities...

Take for instance Sade's - No Ordinary Love.  Amazing song to dance
tango to by the way.... Or James Taylor's - The Water is Wide, or the
ubiquitous, Norah Jones's - The Nearness of You....  All amazing
songs that are so danceable and perfect for Tango....

So am I wrong in thinking that this is 'alternative' music or is
there perhaps another meaning....

One that springs to mind is 'alternate' songs by other orchestras
doing classic or golden age tunes....???

Or another is something to Gotan Project, or NarcoTango or,
BalaTango....?

Can anyone enlighten ?

M i l e s.