[Tango-L] Tango World Championship - judging

june es esjune at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 22 17:13:44 EST 2007

Hi Chris

>Social tango is not an act. It is the real thing.
When I dance I am acting out the emotions, and their range and degree, as
suggested by the music. By acting I mean putting into action via body
language of what I feel in response to the music. It's the music that drives
me. I guess I am good at being driven by the music because I have, through
my expression of the music, stirred some partners into responses which I am
scared to reciprocate after the three minutes or so of the dance. Once the
music is over, the dance is over. Is my dance not an act?
I hope the above explanation makes sense. I'm probably going to get some
brickbats for this comment.

>June, if you can't see these things, how do you know the judges can?
About judging, it is possible that others can see what we cannot see
ourselves. For example, one workshop teacher spotted that I was tense in the
chest area and I asked her how she knew because I did not know it myself.
She was right, of course, and I have subsequently worked on relaxing this
area.
There are good judges and bad judges, just as we have good and bad dancers.
In Dancesport, judges need to be certified through examinations in order to
qualify to judge.
Tango competitions are new, perhaps there will be a day when teachers and
judges hold similar professional qualifications.
PS. I am going to duck for cover now.