[Tango-L] Tango World Championship - judging

june es esjune at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 20 18:01:45 EST 2007

>How does one judge how something feels?

Well, one can tell if someone is feeling sad or happy, or simply a great
actor projecting such feelings. Dancing to me is like acting and the feeling
is projected through our body in response to the stimulus of the music.

And judging is an art in itself. I admire judges on shows such as "So you
think you can dance", and "Dancing with the Stars". I admire the skill of
judging - when judges offer their feedback to the competing dancers I am
amazed by what they see that I could not.

I have attempted to develop my own "judging" skill by visually assessing the
competitors' performance myself and then comparing my personal assessment
with that of the professional judges. Perhaps this is how you can develop
the same skill.

Occasionally, I have tested my visual assessment in practice by leading a
partner who I have assessed to be a good follower. I do believe that many
leaders have the ability to assess a potential partner.

I shall be interested to hear from others.