[Tango-L] Tai Chi Dan Tien and doing things in Twos

David Koucky davidkoucky at msn.com
Wed Dec 26 23:02:22 EST 2007

At the heart of it, Coupled dancing is an agreement contest.  The winner is the one who is the best at agreeing with their partner.  If we are too insistent at "I want" part agreement will suffer.

Philosophical Taoism holds that change is the only constant. By using a lot of Yang, we get worn out and have to be Yin until Yin makes enough Yang to be Yang once more.  Play a little Pedro Laurenz and see what you think.

Oddly Yin is the greater energy.  Yin does not Do, it simply accomplishes. It is a bit of a pity that leads must constantly do. We are often bound up in the technical driving the car, and trying to think of what is next.   Following can offer the opportunity for a greater awareness of the important parts. The trick is telling the lead about the music inside of yourself.  Words are too slow.

Now back to Tai Chi.  The two person exercises have a lead and a follow. One person begins with an active attempt.  Following is used to respond.  Tai Chi has a neutralizing movement that is used to reverse roles.  I have yet to learn how to introduce this game to dance.  This type of thing is more conflict and less agreement.  If done poorly it looks like bad wrestling.

One final question.  Have you ever seen a great Miloguera who daced like she was a subservient doormat?  Some how the great women seem to be above our masculine tomfoolery.