[Tango-L] Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 23 15:33:38 EST 2007

--- Krasimir Stoyanov <krasimir at krasimir.com> wrote:

Sorry, I have not yet seen a tango, that is 50/50 dialogue.
This dance is a monologue, like it or not, adorned by some
additions from the follower.
Otherwise, instead of telling a story, (painting canvas,
playing violin), it becomes a quarrel. I see it every night
locally. And I am tired of this pseudo-tango.
---
Sean here,

As many people have already pointed out, violins and
brushes are merely tools. Without someone to wield them,
they are utterly useless. (Except for maybe releasing a few
potential BTUs on a desperately cold winter night.)

What has not been pointed out is that at best, a perfectly
crafted tool will not hinder the user in reaching his
potential. But no tool is perfect, so the tool always
limits the user.

A woman, on the other hand, does not need a man to dance.
And rather than limit the man's potential the way a tool
must, a woman may collaborate with a man to create a dance
that is better than either can achieve by themselves. This
synergy is my reason to dance.

If you consider yourself an advanced dancer, but have not
yet experienced a dance with a partner that is propelled
way beyond either partner's potential, then I feel very
sorry for you. I think you have not yet experienced tango.
And as long as you believe tango is about "telling a story,
(painting canvas, playing violin)", then I don't think you
will ever experience the best aspect of tango. Loose your
ego, or loose the dance.

>From time to time, I have complained that some women do not
contribute to the dance. My complaints are really about the
lack of synergy when dancing with these women. In some
cases, it may just be "bad chemistry", or more likely, a
lack of trust. But for the most part, I think that these
women have abdicated their role in the dance, in order to
not offend the men who would use them like tools. So these
men, with their pathetic little egos, are part of the
problem. But nobody may be used against his (her) will. If
certain women choose to diminish themselves to receive more
monologues, then I will find others who prefer to dance. I
cannot blame the men for taking advantage of women who
allow themselves to be used.

Sean

  Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh’s most popular social dance!
  http://patangos.home.comcast.net/