[Tango-L] Don't blame your follower

Astrid astrid at ruby.plala.or.jp
Fri Dec 21 21:22:19 EST 2007

> "I find nothing offensive to play the role of a Stradivarius in the
> hands of
>
> a talented musician."
>
> I think the objectionable part is not so much the comparison to a
> Stradivarius, rather the proposal that it is a dumb innate
> object/instrument through which the leader/musician expresses their
> skill.

If it was skill, Anton ! In that case I would find nothing offensive in it
either. I remember the days when I would think on the dance floor:"I am this
finely tuned instrument that responds to every subtle lead and this brute is
manhandling and abusing it." The fact is that men who think of their follows
(and just the word "follow" sets me on edge already. May I remind you that I
am a woman ?) as instruments, brushes or whatever to achieve their own
"artistic" expression are usually so full of themselves that they are barely
thinking of the person in their arms. Buffmilonguera mentioned those
experiences when the man forced her to execute every last step of his
combination "or else", yes, I have run into those types too.
"Tango for her", maybe you really should invest a little more time into
studying what you call "soft tango" to get the ladies to go with you to the
milongas, and good luck with your finding instructions for dancing on
youtube.