[Tango-L] plantar fasciitis

Tango For Her tangopeer at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 21 20:49:46 EST 2007

$4,000?  Well, $1,000 was actually covered by insurance and that was for a .... ugh, I'm drawing a blank.  Not a catscan, petscan or x-ray.  The other one.  They saw nothing.

  I didn't have insurance for the first few years.  I went to three doctors.  The first was one the Boston Ballet's doctors.  He made some orthotics and had me come back a few times to adjust them.  I wish he had just told me to get off my feet for a few months.  But, being a Taurus, I was stubborn and was insisting that I needed to stay on my feet to make money teaching.  Dumb!

  I also had A LOT of accupuncture, in the beginning.  But, again, I wasn't getting off my feet.

  I've had 2 doctors since then.  After about $1000, each, I quit going.  The typical things they would do over and over and over, again, included adjusting special made orthotics, ultrasound, wrapping my foot, and e-stim.  I'm probably forgetting something.

  I tried a walking boot and my foot was in agony.  I've worn a boot to bed, too.

  For a few years, my foot was so bad that I would have to ice it, repeatedly, if I just went to the supermarket.

  Then, 2 years ago, I put myself on crutches for about 3 months.  That was the best relief I had.  I hadn't danced for a few years before that.

  Since then, I dance a bit, here and there.  Whenever I carry anything slightly heavy, it gets irritated for weeks.  I workout my upper body 3 times a week, pretty hard.  But, anything with my legs, until just recently, hurt too much.

  I've been wearing a strausburg sock at night.  That is actually what allows me to dance a little.  It helps a lot.  But, it isn't nearly enough.

  I've been using Capzasin (arthritis pain relief) which seems to help.

  Ice, ice and more ice.

  I have dance shoes specially made in Argentina for my feet.  Thich soles and the toes drop down, which really helps.

  I've resorted, recently, to wearing a brand of orthotics called Superfeet(r).  They feel better than anything the doctors gave me.

  I had was referred to a chiropractor who uses a lasor.  The woman who referred me had a lot of improvement (later to become reinjurred).  I went for a free introductory visit.  He used the lasor.  It was red and warm.  Woooooo.  He said I could come for as many visits as it takes for $1100.  I said, fix my foot and I'll give you $3000!  No deal.

  It seems that doctors are into their specialties to make money.  After about $1000, they know you will grow wiery.  And, they always have the people who probably would have healed, anyway, as their afidavits.  Yes, I have become negative.  But, I really can see how they don't cross train.  They have their couple of things that they do and that's it.  It's a business.

  I've heard of the high frequency bombardment and got an email about it, this week.  It seemed kind of scary.  But, maybe, I'm warming up to it.

  I don't want to go to a surgeon, because, I know a nurse that works for one who told me that ... well, it's sick the number of people that they refer for surgery that she thinks don't really need it.

  Anyway, $1000 doesn't go very far when a doctor is just doing the same thing, with variations, over and over, again.

  You asked!

   Oh, and I roll my foot on a bottle of ice whenever it gets bad.

steve pastor <tang0man2005 at yahoo.com> wrote:
  I went through a bout of this a few years ago.I'm kind of curious as to
what you've spent $4,000 on, because I was able to get over it relatively
inexpensively.
Care to elaborate about what you've done so far?

Tango For Her wrote:
Actually, I stretch A LOT. I meant to send the Alexandertechnique links, in general, to the group. Thanks, though. And, by the way, my dancing, too, is night and day different with and without stretching. I learned that really early on.

However, if anyone has heard of any miracle breakthroughs with plantar fasciitis, I would love to hear about them. I've been, pretty much, on the sidelines for about 6 years, now, because of that. I've spent about $4000, too. So, if there are any ideas out there, let me know!

I'm lucky that there is an incredible dancer nearby who is very light and very quick to react so we move with such precision that I can dance one night every couple of weeks with her. We have this perfect connection with, get this, no lean! It gets pretty frustrating. At least, when I can dance, she saves the night for me. I actually had to take a few years off.

So, if anyone has heard of anything major, let me know!

Thanks

"Trini y Sean (PATangoS)"
wrote:
Here's a good one with a lot of articles.
http://www.alexandertechnique.com/

If you're ever in Pittsburgh, I can introduce you to our
Alexander Technique teacher, who also dances tango very
well.

Trini de Pittsburgh

--- Tango For Her wrote:

> I used to hear people talking about the Alexander
> Technique. I never studied it, though. Anyone have good
> links to pass along (and label the post "Alexander
> Technique"?

Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh?s most popular social dance!
http://patangos.home.comcast.net/