[Tango-L] (fwd) He played her like a violin

Ed Loomis TangoBear at pobox.com
Fri Dec 21 17:35:54 EST 2007

Hi folks,
     While I am sure that everyone posting to this thread means well I am amazed
that it is continuing the way that it is. In American slang to "play someone
like a violin" is an established figure of speech which dates back to the
prohibition era during which "violin" was also often synonymous with the
Thompson sub-machinegun, which was frequently concealed in a violin case. To say
that I "played someone like a violin" means that I manipulated them to my
advantage so cleverly and so completely that I made an utter fool out of them.
Why is anyone even surprised that the ladies on the list are annoyed at the
suggestion?
     Can we please put this flea bitten old dog to bed and just let it go?!?
Ed