[Tango-L] If this was day one of your study of Tango..

Tango For Her tangopeer at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 20 14:07:09 EST 2007

I always find that, when teaching couples, the man's brain turns to mush at 45 minutes and the woman can last the full 90 minutes.  I am very dislexic, which I find to be an advantage in that I end up trying patterns 2 or 4(left, right, back, forward) ways.  And, I notice that, after 45 minutes, all men seem to become dislexic.

  I used to hear people talking about the Alexander Technique.  I never studied it, though.  Anyone have good links to pass along (and label the post "Alexander Technique"?

"Trini y Sean (PATangoS)" <patangos at yahoo.com> wrote:
  For couples, we find that 1.5 hours works better than just
an hour for both the man and the woman to get the attention
each needs.

If cost is an issue for privates, you and a partner can
just split the hour. The other person can take notes for
the one doing the lesson. For less experienced dancers,
this can be a good way to get enough info to work on
without exploding the budget or the brain.

I'm not sure why I'm not getting Mario's posts, but if I
had to do tango over again:

- I would not be so critical of my partner (Sean) because I
now know that he learns differently than I do and how
difficult it is to learn to lead,

- I wouldn't have been so shy about practicing/dancing with
other people,

- I'd have started a lot sooner on my Alexander Technique
lessons, since I didn't realize that having a good sense of
my own kinesthetics would have such on impact on my dancing
and sensing my partner. And I wouldn't have wasted so much
time on what appeared to be conflicting techniques.

Trini de Pittsburgh

--- Keith wrote:

> Clever guy. Most people think they're saving money by
> taking lessons with a partner - not true. With a couple,
> a teacher will demonstrate
> whatever he's teaching with the woman and then with the
> man; the couple will then try it together [this time is
> pretty much wasted]. If
> you're alone, you get to dance with the teacher for the
> full duration of the lesson, which is why you're paying
> for a private lesson. If a
> couple take one private lesson each, separately, they'll
> learn far more than by taking two private lessons
> together. Of course, teachers
> love to teach couples - way less work.
>
> Keith, HK
>
> On Fri Dec 21 0:02 , Tango For Her sent:
>

> > I used to take private lessons with a partner. I
> didn't realize until I started taking them alone that it
> was a big waste of my money
> to partner up.

Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh’s most popular social dance!
http://patangos.home.comcast.net/