[Tango-L] Don't blame your follower ...keys & Clasico vs. Nuevo

doug@swingfusion.com doug at swingfusion.com
Mon Dec 17 17:14:14 EST 2007

<TFH>  Intermediate dancers want to learn tricks and patterns.  (This is
only my observation.  This is a genaralization.  This is not meant to offend
anyone!) </TFH>

<Ron>  Social Argentine Tango is about connection with partner and music and
the emotion that is aroused in that connection. That is its unique beauty.
However, outside Argentina dancers see tango as steps. Somebody missed the
train.</Ron>

  I am not offended :-).  But I did interpret these, and other comments
occasionally seen on the list, as implying that a fair portion of what
happens in the Nuevo dance is a trick or pattern.
  I don't see a Volcada, for example as being any more of a step or trick or
pattern than, say, an ocho cortada.  Both are led, you can stop either one
at any point and unwind the move, modify what happens next etc.  Some leads
and some follows may interpret either as a step or pattern, but that is just
because they are not leading or following.
  I, and most that I know who dance Nuevo moves, try to use the "forbidden
list" musically, in concert with partner and music and emotions.  I think
that you do us a disservice by claiming that just because the steps are not
danced by the portenos, they are not musical, etc.
  I also believe that, for many although perhaps not you, an intellectual
connection to your partner and the music can have all the emotional depth,
or more, of a non-intellectual connection.

D.