[Tango-L] Don't blame your follower ...keys & Clasico vs. Nuevo

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Mon Dec 17 15:36:01 EST 2007

On Dec 17, 2007, at 12:51 PM, "Tango For Her" wrote:

> To difuse this a bit ...
>
>  How do you make money in tango?  Give what people want!  The trick
> to filling your classroom AND keep them coming is to keep the
> attention of the intermediate and advanced leaders.  Any teacher
> knows that!
>
>  Intermediate dancers want to learn tricks and patterns.  (This is
> only my observation.  This is a genaralization.  This is not meant
> to offend anyone!)  So, if you are a visiting teacher, you had
> better be known for teaching "cool moves"!

How do you make money in tango? Get students to take lot of privates.

How do you get them to take privates? Teach really complicated figures
that they can't learn in class.

How do you get lots of privates? Focus on the women, as they are more
willing to take privates.

How do you get big classes? Follow the ballroom studio strategy, and
create a vertical community: Classes, privates, dances under one roof.

How do you keep them from going elsewhere? Teach them things that only
work within your own circe.

I prefer a different value: How do you build community?

(1) Teach material that is accessible to a wide audience, not just the
young or athletic.
(2) Make sure the guys leave successful from each group class.
(3) Work to build the wider community, not just your own milonga.
(4) Do field trips with your students to the community milongas.