[Tango-L] MACRI Cancels Tango Festival in Argentina

Igor Polk ipolk at virtuar.com
Fri Dec 14 17:28:27 EST 2007

SO WHAT IS THE PROBLEM, DEAR Mary Simon Carolina?
Do it like we do it: on your own !

Igor Polk.
PS
Here is an approximage ( automatic) translation:
( it took me long time to introduce line breaks. Thanks for your help, dear
List-Hosts ! )

* * *
Dear musicians, dancers, teachers, organizers milongas, photographers,
cartoonists, teachers,
media and all those who since 1998 have been part, each from his own place,
the Buenos Aires
Tango Festival, the Metropolitan Championships and World Tango Dance, and
the web Tangodata:
The next Buenos Festival Aires Tango, when the city held for the tenth time
our gender citizen,
it will not be an occasion for celebration, as many had imagined.

Authorities Culture management took last weekend have reported the
suspension of the event.

They did so precisely on 11 December, but I doubt they know what they should
festejarse that day.

It should be noted that this decision was taken without any discussion with
us
about what was armed, what artists had been called, what spaces were
involved,
ie without assessing what would be
the consequences of the decision or who would harmed.

The installation national and international Tangodata and events that
Tango until Friday organized by the city government was
an arduous task that had taken many years,
even since the time that the current Minister of Culture, Hernan Lombardi
was
Assistant Secretary of Tourism of the city. Unfortunately, today we see that
emptying
the area of Tango and the rest of the festival is a long-planned strategy,
which is demonstrated by the speed and
violence that implemented this change, which is rather like a demolition.
On Tuesday, the first working day of the management macrista,
we come to what until then had our offices and we find
that the signs indicating the spaces of the various events had been
uprooted.
On the same day the newly General Coordinator Production informed us
that the festival was discontinued, which  would change the structure of the

Directorate and all we were going to be reassigned to other duties and other
physical spaces.

Yesterday, Wednesday, we were invited to vacate the offices, emptying
withdraw our computers and personal effects from them.
We provide "compensatory francs" until January 15 and I fear what may happen
that day.

Not only is flouting a project that took years to build, but also despise
human

resources and knowledge that formed over ten years.
I apologize to all those invited to be part of the festival no longer.
Probably he had sinned of naive and even optimistic, but honestly
this scenario is not what I dreamed nor the worst of my nightmares.
In turn, I am grateful that we have together all these years and
have allowed us to work with you, enjoying their art, their knowledge and
all of you as individuals.

I also wish to express my great gratitude to all those who were part of the
team,
and those who were. Thank labor, delivery, commitment and passion that
brought.
The success and prestige undeniable that we managed to build
(and pro - Macri forces came to destroy) was possible because we did
all possible. I hope to meet many of you in situations happier.

Thank you, Mary Simon Carolina DCI 1696451615 5967-9978
PS: those who want to express their disagreement with the
measures taken by the current government of
the City can write to gmichear at yahoo.com.ar (Gabriela Michetti) and
hlombardi @ fibertel . com.ar (Hernan Lombardi).
Obviously phones and emails through which we used to
communicate are no longer valid ways.