[Tango-L] What is tango? [Tango Clasico]

Korey Ireland korey at kodair.com
Wed Dec 12 02:04:51 EST 2007

Thanks Alexis,
I enjoy your clarity and open mindedness.

Thanks also to Ron for provoking me consider another perspective.

I wonder what would happen if we all put as much time into improving
and enjoying our dance as we did into defending/classifying/debating?
Would it produce a new "species of dance"?  Or just a bunch of people
enjoying and refining something they love to do, side by side with as
much personal differentiation as the setting allows....

I will confess off the record that I actually danced several ocho
cortados tonight at practica X, dancing in close embrace to D'Arienzo
with an exquisite Argentine follower while the couple next to us was
doing soltadas and over-turned ganchos.  (There are occasionally bumps
in this setting where styles from several continents and generations
meet, but on the whole its good humored, and good dancing of any style
is generally respected....)
While chatting between songs my partner expressed to me that her
favorite thing was to dance in a comfy close embrace but with the
dynamics of the younger dancers...sounds like we're still a long way
from distinctly different species...or perhaps we have a new, new
thing, should we call it NuevoClassico? (i jest, in fact I'm happy to
just call it tango.)

One more curious example:  Tango Brujo, generally considered a Nuevo
school, is doing an ongoing series with their Thursday practica where
they are inviting milongueros to come and share their perspective with
the younger dancers.  The idea being that there is much commonality,
and much to be learned from the experience of others.  This week the
guest is rumored to be Carlitos Perez, who runs the famous Villa
Urquiza practica at Sunderland.  How delightful, to have Perez and
Gaston and Mariela fusing and exchanging movements and styles...the
oldest and the newest in the same space.

Please understand, I don't mean to pick a fight or criticize the well
formed opinions of others but to share a different perspective and
some evidence of a tolerance for (or even mixing of ) different styles
here in Buenos Aires (certainly we can find the same in the US and
Europe).  BsAs is the sort of scene where you can find examples to
support almost any view which just suggests to me that there is not
much point in making definitions around it.  The more interesting
question to me is what do we gain by separating generations, styles,
and priorities.  Are we in fact enriched by homogeny?  Certainly on a
species level diversity is advantageous, but I'd contend there's a
healthy place for diversity even in the milonga or practica.  I'm not
a big proponent of segregation by style.  I'd prefer to be confronted
by, and learn to appreciate the priorities of other dancers.  In the
end I hope this will have a positive influence on the way I enjoy the
dance.

-Korey