[Tango-L] What is tango music?

Janis Kenyon Jantango at feedback.net.ar
Sun Dec 9 20:57:51 EST 2007

Chris wrote:
We have recordings of the performances and so know this is not true. E.g.
also by Caló and Berón, "Verdemar", "Un crimen", "Corazón, no le hagas
caso", and "Cada dia te extraño mas". No chan-chan.

Just as the map is not the terrain, the score is not the music.>>

I heard an interesting story told to me years ago in Club Almagro by a tango
musician.  Supposedly, there was a bandoneonist who played for years with
Juan D'Arienzo.  Later he went to play with Osvaldo Pugliese.  He went home
frustrated after performances and played chan-chan continuously on his
instrument to get it out of his system.  Why? Those last two notes are
played softly with Pugliese whereas they are very strong with D'Arienzo.

Todotango.com has scores of tango music. [See Library, select scores, and
then alphabetical listing.] The recordings may not have included a chan chan
at the end, but the sheet music of Verdemar has it written.  It is the only
one of the four examples mentioned above which are included among the scores
on Todotango.  I have the sheet music for Cada Dia Te Extrano Mas published
by Editorial Musical Korn; music by Armando Pontier with lyrics by Carlos
Bahr.  It has the chan chan written in the original score.   That makes it
tango in my book.