[Tango-L] Franelear -- have you tried it?

Janis Kenyon Jantango at feedback.net.ar
Sun Dec 9 20:13:07 EST 2007

More than a year ago I had a conversation with Carlos Alberto Rodriguez when
he used an interesting new word for me--FRANELEAR.  I had some idea about
the meaning of the word by his body language and the context in which he
used it--to "franelear" a woman while dancing tango with her.  I tried
finding the word in my Spanish-English dictionary to no avail.

A few weeks ago I bought a copy of the new Lunfardo-English dictionary for
tango (1).  The book has only four pages of words related to tango beginning
with the letter F.   Franelear: to kiss, to caress, to heavy pet.  I
realized I understood what Carlos Alberto had meant, because I had
experienced what he was talking about.

That lead me to consult the dictionary of Argentine speech (2) which
contains a broader definition of the word in Castellano.  Franelear.
(vulgar transitive verb).  to excite another person with caresses without
arriving at the sexual act.  This dictionary doesn't indicate the word is
Lunfardo, only vulgar.  It is in common use among Argentines.

Then only a week ago during conversation with a tango dancer from Milan,
Roberto Angel Puyol used the word.  He said just the opposite of what Carlos
Alberto said while talking about dancing tango with a woman.  He said he
dances with a woman to enjoy the dance, not to franelear the woman.  Very
interesting.  I know that to be true about Roberto Angel's dancing.

So why am I talking about a new word?  Two milongueros, whom I have invited
to take part in the Milonguero Conference, have a difference of opinion
about it.  I have danced with both of them.  I have been the recipient of
franeleando while dancing with several milongueros over the years.  In fact,
my lessons in franeleando began during my first visit to Buenos Aires in
1996 when Victorio initiated me on things a woman could do while
dancing with man if she was interested in something more.

I am curious what others think about this topic.  I have no doubt it will
draw interesting comments.  Have you tried it with anyone while
dancing?  Did the other person reciprocate in some way?   What were the
consequences?  Did you enjoy it?  Are you trying to remember occasions and
with whom you were dancing?

(1) Mataburros  Lunfardo/English dictionary of tango by Sara Melul and
Roberto Cruanas. July 2007
Available at Zivals on Corrientes and Callao for 39 pesos.
(2) Diccionario del Habla de Los Argentinos.  Academia Argentina de Letras.
La Nacion. 2003

Janis

Milonguero Conference
www.totango.net/milongueros.html