[Tango-L] What is tango music?

Chris, UK tl2 at chrisjj.com
Sun Dec 9 17:33:00 EST 2007

Janis wrote

> Listen to Tristezas de la Calle Corrientes ... All tangos end on the
tonic but with two extra notes added-- ... the "chan chan"

Last night I had to leave for the bus just before those last two notes -
still the piece felt like tango. ;)

> I have the sheet music for several tangos and valses to know this is true.

We have recordings of the performances and so know this is not true. E.g.
also by Caló and Berón, "Verdemar", "Un crimen", "Corazón, no le hagas
caso", and "Cada dia te extraño mas". No chan-chan.

Just as the map is not the terrain, the score is not the music.

--
Chris