[Tango-L] Musicality. What is it?

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 7 18:38:25 EST 2007

--- meaning of life <kushi_bushi at hotmail.com> wrote:

> i think that tango is about spirit and intent, there are
> identifiable moves, customs and behaviors. it is these
> things that make it tango, not necessarily the music.

Suppose there is no music at all?  Just you and your
partner, the lights dimmed, in an embrace flowing from one
movement to the next, forming your own musicality through
your tango conversation?  Your focus completely on the
other person.  The beats might be silent, but they are
still there, perhaps as part of your muscle memory but
still present.  Isn't that the essence of tango?

At the heart of musicality, I think, is the expression of
emotion.  And people can respond to music differently.  In
a musicality class on Piazzolla that we had recently with
Andres & Meredith Amarilla, Andres used an interesting
phrase in evaluating each couple's interpretation of part
of a song.  He would say "You haven't convinced me" or "I'm
convinced".  He never said that this was good/bad or
unmusical/musical.  I liked that phrase because it
acknowledged that both the dancers and the audience have
their own musical interpretation.  This phrasing could also
be used within the couple, as well.

As for those who say that musicality classes are useless...
well... I'm not convinced.

Trini de Pittsburgh

  Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh’s most popular social dance!
  http://patangos.home.comcast.net/