[Tango-L] Musicality. What is it?

Tango Society of Central Illinois tango.society at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 17:08:04 EST 2007

On 12/7/07, Tom English <tangopeer at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Some people have the aptitude to be able to memorize things.  Myself, I
> don't have that ability to a great extent.  However, I do feel the emotion
> between each beat and THAT is worth much more than memorizing a song!  A
> leader definitely does not have to memorize a song, or know the orchestra,
> to provide his follower with the sweet essence of the song!

I don't think there is any recommendation to memorize a tango here. It's
just that after listening to a song repeatedly you know what is coming next
and you can create your dance around the anticipated music, differently each
time, of course.

I sometimes don't dance if I don't know the music. Since I DJ, if another DJ
stays close to classic tangos, I will have plenty to choose from. However,
some DJs play a lot of unknown tangos, or non-tango music, which leaves
fewer options for good dancing. If you go to milongas in Buenos Aires, you
will hear the same classic tango music played across all the milongas. Some
tango music is just better to dance to. I'm sure the dancers at Buenos Aires
milongas provide feedback to the DJs as to which music is best for dancers.

Ron