[Tango-L] Musicality. What is it?

Igor Polk ipolk at virtuar.com
Wed Dec 5 13:31:41 EST 2007

To Huck, who wrote:
"..you can't dance the song nearly as musically as you could if you did
know the music intimately."

No. I belive a musical piece has enough hints what is going on. Which are
obvious for the trained ear.
- First of all the next bar is similar to the previous. You will get the
feeling and the rhythical pattern.
- The second, part of the music later in the piece repeats itself more or
less. With some variation, but that is what you expect, don't you?
- the third - dancing to the melody, one can easy follow longer notes,
sentences, and phrases. Because they are slow: you have plenty of time to
react and to interpret. IF YOU KNOW HOW !
- Part of it is that the music is WRITTEN SPECIFICALLY FOR DANCERS ! It
follows the patterns of Traditional Tango dance. So if you know the dance,
TRADITIONAL DANCE (!), it MAGICALLY FITS INTO MISIC !
- And the last, when one has fast reaction, one can immediatelly fit the
dancing action into the most fastest twist in the rhythmical pattern or
melody. One is not listening to music there. Instead, a couple completely
intervines themselves with the music: body is listening. Music moves !  Even
in Milonga! I can tell you.

Ok, Ok, I am going to restrain myself pointing who "plods around clumsily
like
Frankenstein's monster."

Igor Polk.