[Tango-L] tango movies (formerly I wanna buy a tango book)

desdelasnubes@web.de desdelasnubes at web.de
Tue Dec 4 17:51:31 EST 2007

> Incidentally, I also wanted to ask what are people's favourite tango movies and documentaries.

These are the tango films that I like a lot:

Sur, Argentina 1988. Director: Fernando Solanas, Music: Astor Piazolla, Roberto Goyeneche
The plot: In 1983, at the end of military dictatorship in Argentina, Floreal (Miguel Angel Solá) is released
from prison after a five year's sentence. He's longing for to come back to his wife Rosi (Susú Pecoraro),
but the memories of the past resurface: flight and emprisonment, torture and murder, treason and jealousy, love and death.
He goes into the dark night of memory and meets the specters of the past: his dead friend Negro (Lito Cruz),
that was killed in the military dictatorship, Amadeo (Roberto Goyeneche), who in his tangos sings about the fragility of love,
the colonel Rasatti (Nathan Pinzón), who tells about his former project "Sur" (South), the utopia of a better country,
and his father (Mario Lozano), the stuttering union member who kept his dignity in times of persecution.

Tangos - El exilio de Gardel. Argentina, France 1985. Director: Solanas, Music: Astor Piazzola among others.
An argentine dance group  which was expelled by the military putsch in Argentina in 1976 to exile in Paris is rehearsing
a "tanguedia", a tango-musical which combines tragedy and comedy. The film has an open structure which is compared
to exile: you know when it begins, but you don't know when it ends. The different episodes are hold together by the
dancing scenes and the tango music.

I also love the films with Carlos Gardel that were shot by Paramount in the early 1930s, but they may not be easily available.

"Tango Bar" should be available.

"Melodía de Arrabal", released in 1933.  week after the release El Diario reported:
"Something strange happened last Sunday at Porteno Cinema.
They were showing Carlos Gardel's Melodía de Arrabal, and when he was singing the tangos "Silencio"
and "Melodía de arrabal", the audience interrupted the film with its applause and demanded that they
repeat the parts in which you can hear and see Gardel singing those tangos, as only he can do it."

"Cuesta abajo", released in 1934.