[Tango-L] Who leads what who follows what

Victor Bennetts Victor_Bennetts at infosys.com
Sun Dec 2 20:44:17 EST 2007

If you let the follower give input into the dance, another benefit is that you can learn from her as well as having nice dances. So to take an extreme example, Maria Plazaola dances with Gavito for years knows his dance intimately. You dance with Maria Plazaola, you feel in the feedback a little of what Gavito must have felt like (for instance). But you have to actually be having a 'dance' and not just pounding the follower with a whole lot of steps, fancy or otherwise, and so full of your own ability as a leader that you cant hear what their body is telling you. I think if you are open to it, this can happen when you dance with any experienced follower, you get reflected into you the feeling of all the great leaders they have danced with. What a nice way to be remembered :-).

Victor Bennetts