[Tango-L] Musicality. What is it?

Victor Bennetts Victor_Bennetts at infosys.com
Sun Dec 2 20:05:45 EST 2007

The tango embrace is intimate so a follower can tell a lot about a leader, are they nervous, are they angry, tired, have bad indigestion, etc. One of the things they can tell is if the leader is actually listening to and enjoying the music. To me that is musicality. I don't think lessons help all that much on this particular point. You have to first and foremost like the music and then secondly listen to it a lot so that you know it by heart and can anticipate what sort of steps are going to fit a particular passage. Where I found lessons personally helpful however is I think as an inexperience leader you are tempted to fill up the entire dance with a lot of complicated steps. Whereas what followers actually want is that you give them plenty of space to feel and express the music as well.

Victor Bennetts
>I have deepen more into that, and to my surprise have found that I can not
really define what people understand under the term "Musicality".
Another question is how to develop it.