[Tango-L] No Subject - stats/personal responsibility

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 1 23:56:54 EST 2007

Hi Steve,

I can see where my comment might be taken negatively, but
it was meant to be tongue-in-cheek.  I assumed based on his
comments, perhaps mistakenly, that Doug has become a bona
fide tango junkie.

"Sucking" at something is only negative if it bothers you.
For example, I suck at Texas Hold 'Em, but I'll still play
with my family members for fun.  It comes down to a
question of expectations and accepting oneself for who one
is at that point in time.

When I teach, I let my students, especially beginners, know
that it's okay to make mistakes.  In fact, they should
expect to be making mistakes and need to be forgiving of
their bodies as it incorporates new movements.  Having fun
is what matters.  I can't count the number of people who,
by their own admission, suck at dancing milonga, but they
love to do it anyway.

Trini de Pittsburgh

--- Stephen.P.Brown at dal.frb.org wrote:

> I'm not claiming to have become the next Miguel Zotto,
> but I don't agree
> with what seems to be a somewhat negative philosophy
> expressed in the
> following comments:
> >Welcome to a dance in which you'll never be fully
> satisfied
> >with how you dance.  With time, you'll suck less and
> less.
> >Just enjoy the process, which is much more important
> than
> >the end result, anyway.  So what if you don't become the
> >next Miguel Zotto.
>
> Maybe I've misinterpreted what has been written?
>
> A great curse of tango is the extent to which it lends
> itself to the
> pursuit of ever greater levels of perfection.  As we
> learn something, our
> knowledge often runs ahead of our skill, and recognition
> of that gap is
> what impels us to go forward.  Those who focus on how far
> they have to go
> to reach perfection and never look back at how far they
> have come can burn
> out from frustration.
>
> I find that tango has become much more enjoyable now that
> I am no longer
> seeking perfection.
>
> Steve (de Tejas)

  Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh’s most popular social dance!
  http://patangos.home.comcast.net/