[Tango-L] Ah, Sweet Mystery...

ATANGO2@aol.com ATANGO2 at aol.com
Sun Aug 26 05:30:41 EDT 2007

One of the greatest aspects of  tango is that it is individualistic and we
are encouraged to develop our  own style.  One of the most  confusing aspects of
tango is that it is individualistic and we are  encouraged to create our own
style.   Without standardization (not that there should or could be) there
are multiple interpretations of what is “correct” and “authentic” thereby
creating instant disagreement when stating that this or that is always (or
never) never done, or that there is no such thing as this or that.  It is highly
likely that someone  who is respected by students and peers is teaching a move,
figure or  technique or concept in the exact opposite (or very different) way
than we  might have learned it.
In my 16 years' experience,  reputable Masters and respected teachers have
proclaimed various  combinations of the following:   the cross is led;  the
cross is automatic; there is to be no leading with the hands; there is  leading
from the hand/fingers on the woman’s back; the woman changes  weight
immediately when led to cross; the woman waits for the invitation  to change weight when
led to the cross position; each step of a giro is  led so the leader can
maintain control of timing and change direction at  will; the giro is done in
coded sequence until the man stops turning; the  man reaches forward with and
lands on the ball of the foot; the man lands  gently on the heel of his foot;
small steps are authentic; large steps are  correct; and of course, a large back
step is the  correct salida; the back step should never be used.  To mention a
few.
How each is dealt with depends  on the source of training and preference of
the leader.  If they have learned only one  method, that is how they will set
up or lead the cross, etc.  Men who have received training in  a variety of
methods have options.   (I've never known a man to change from leading the cross
to expecting  it to be automatic, but I have known many who now lead it
although they  first learned that it was to be automatic.)
In one of my earliest “Aha”  moments, while dancing with a visiting Master,
he crossed out to my right,  walked straight ahead a few steps, then subtly
led the cross by slightly  rotating his axis, which in turn rotated mine, and
set me up for the  cross.  When I described this  pleasant phenomenon to fellow
enthusiasts, they vehemently disagreed that  that is what had occurred.  We
had learned that the follower automatically crosses on step #5 of the 8CB  and
that a leader would never walk on that side of the frame.  However, it was a
moment of great  enlightenment in my tango life and was completely in sync with
the premise  that every step in tango done through lead and follow.
In another amazing moment  relatively early on, although my partner was built
like a linebacker, he  danced like a stealthy feline.  At one point he ever
so slightly  lifted my torso and after guiding me through tiny increments of
space, gently released the tension and lowered my weight to the cross on  the
exact final beat of the phrase.  It was exquisite and  significantly heightened
my awareness of how magical the cross can  be.
Just because we  haven't experienced or do not understand a particular idea
or  way  of doing something does not mean that it doesn't exist or lacks
merit; and our disagreement with a method or system does not invalidate it  or
negate it for those do understand and agree with it.  Hmmmm, sounds a lot like
life.
Polly McBride,
Portland OR
Author: