[Tango-L] Expanding social dancing to exhibition level?

WHITE 95 R white95r at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 23 22:42:27 EDT 2007

Sorry folks, I should have said that one need not lead a front cross as opposed to a
back cross after an open or side step. Obviously the man is leading the woman to take each
and every step, but it's her responsability to follow the code of the tango. Once the firts step
of a giro has been led, (direction and motion) the other steps come in a prescribed sequence.

Manuel

visit our webpage
www.tango-rio.com ----------------------------------------> From: white95r at hotmail.com> To: patangos at yahoo.com; tango-l at mit.edu> Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 22:25:45 -0400> Subject: Re: [Tango-L] Expanding social dancing to exhibition level?>>>> The automatic crossing was what I found a little curious.>> When I started tango many moons ago, automatically crossing>> was the norm. In the States it is not for the most part.>> However, Jon indicated that in BsAs, it was still the norm.>> Any comments about this?>> Trini,>> Many very respected teachers have taught me the same thing.> The tango has a code which is that the woman dances around the man with the> grapevine pattern (open, cross front. open, cross back, etc.). when the man steps> outside of the line, he becomes the center of the circle. In the typical sacada of the> 8CB, the woman begins her giro with a side step to the right. Since the man> is going forward along the LOD, the nest step is obviously a back step. The next step> is an open or side step but since the man is guiding the woman along the LOD, it> looks and acts like another back step. It is not, it's an open step... If one obeys the code,> the next step of the woman is a front cross...... It's inevitable, the cross at the 5th step> of the woman is the logical sequence of the molinete or giro.>> For some reason, the Americans have mystified the front cross and many teachers> teach all kinds of crazy contortions to cause the front cross and they also teach that> the front cross must be led in some mysterious way or the woman will just continue walking> backwards without crossing. This is wrong, it would be like having to lead every crossed and open> steps of the giro and that's obviously not the case.>> Regards,>> Manuel> _______________________________________________> Tango-L mailing list> Tango-L at mit.edu> http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/tango-l