[Tango-L] Expanding social dancing to exhibition level?

Lois Donnay donnay at donnay.net
Thu Aug 23 16:28:46 EDT 2007

This brings to mind a cautionary tale for any tango dancer, one I often tell
my students.

I often see Judy y Jon when I am in Buenos Aires, because it is hard to miss
them. Jon walks in with his characteristic Tango Hat, and makes a point of
greeting the big shots so everyone see. I hear that Judy is the good dancer
of the couple, but Jon is the flamboyant one.

Several years ago I danced with Jon in a milonga in Buenos Aires. It was
surprisingly awful, because I couldn't connect. Now, usually I can give even
the rankest beginner a great dance because I can provide a good connection.
But Jon was holding me in such an unusual way that it seemed he was actually
holding me away from him. He just was not letting me in. But this isn't the
interesting part.

After the dance, Jon said to me "You're doing a good job. Don't get
discouraged, tango is a difficult dance" or something to that effect. In
other words, he put all of the blame on me. I am assuming he thought I was a
beginner, so walked me around the floor in a way that limited either of us
to enjoy ourselves.

So here is the cautionary tale. Never assume that you are a better dancer
than your partner, or you will ruin it for both of you. Approach each dance
as an honor that someone has entrusted their time and their body to your
care.

Lois Donnay
www.mndance.com