[Tango-L] Fame and photos

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 19 19:52:52 EDT 2007

--- steve pastor <tang0man2005 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> So this thread is now about "close embrace"? ...
>   I would say that if you truly want to learn "close
> embrace", learn to
>   dance apilado. At the very least, be aware of the fact
> that there are differences.

True, Steve.  Perhaps we can avert a flame war by
addressing what I think Jake (and others) find most
offensive, which is the dogmatism.

When there is dogmatism, there is usually an attack of some
sort that has produced that dogmatism.  Part of the early
conflict in our own community was that certain salon
practictioners were making our students feel bad about
their dancing.  To defend my students, you’d better believe
I was a bit of a "dragonlady".  As our students became
accepted, I felt less of a need to be so defensive.

This is also the same conflict friends in other cities are
experiencing today, whenever a new style (either milonguero
or nuevo) interrupts the status quo.  Without a conflict,
there's no need for dogmatism.

Perhaps that's why Susana & I get along so well.  We've
shared similar conflicts to promote a dance we both love.
As artists, there's no other real choice.

It’s easy to forget when reading these posts that there are
lives and issues happening out there that we readers don’t
always know about.

Trini de Pittsburgh

  Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh’s most popular social dance!
  http://patangos.home.comcast.net/