[Tango-L] Fame and photos

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 18 21:25:34 EDT 2007

Gosh, for such a being such a terrible teacher, it's a
wonder that so many of Susana's students (men & women) get
danced with at all at any of these festivals!  Hmmm...could
it be that they actually know how to dance?

Funny, when I compare notes with other experienced women
(nuevo and salon dancers from around the country) about the
male dancers we particularly enjoy, we often come up with
the same names - and gosh if there usually aren't several
that have been influenced a lot by Susana.

And that is what counts at the end of the day.

Your comments are the same as what many can say about other
teachers and dance styles.  Some Nuevo and Salon  dancers
can be just as dogmatic.  Inexperienced dancers need to be
corrected no matter what the style or teacher, which I
think is what you've related.  Personally, I find her
students (or students of her students) easier to teach than
others because they usually know that they have lots and
lots to learn.  And I can name at least 4 other instructors
who sell CD's on tour, too.

In my studies with excellent teachers of all styles, none
of them have disputed anything Susana has ever taught me.
There've been some stylistic differences but there's always
a reason behind it, one which is not a basic part of
Susana's style .  I find that those who don't like Susana's
teaching often lack a good understanding of her style.
Heck, she is quite blunt about sacrificing elegance for
stability for the man. (IMHO, it makes the men feel more
masculine, which I enjoy.)  So if one is into only the
"looks" of tango, skip Susana.  I'm more into how it feels.

Trini de Pittsburgh

--- "Jake Spatz (TangoDC.com)" <spatz at tangoDC.com> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> A little graffiti...
>
> Crrtango at aol.com wrote:
> > Trini wrote:
> >
> > <Susana Miller's influence was in the teaching, not the
> dancing.  Many of the old-timers had no idea how they did
> what they did.>
> >
>  From what I've seen, she hadn't a clue herself.
> > [This and the rest is Charles...] True, but some do
> know how to teach. She may have figured out how to teach
> it well but she never learned to dance it well.
> Again, we encounter the difference between knowing how to
> dance and
> knowing how to teach. To me, if you don't dance what you
> teach, and vice
> versa, you're full of it.
>
> To the seams.
> > Whether good or bad, a teacher is still going to be the
> dance model for what they teach.
> This is the same point from the other end of the
> telescope. And let me
> quote Stephen Brown's recent post on "Finding Clarity in
> Tango"--
>
> > 4)  Much of what is represented as tango instruction
> doesn't do much more than convey the instructor's own
> style of dancing.  This criticism doesn't apply to
> everyone who teaches tango.
> >
> The only teachers exempt from this "criticism" are the
> ones who _do not_
> dance what they teach.
>
> I'm frankly astonished that Chris (UK), who's usually a
> perceptive
> critic of bullshit, could call the post in which this
> piece of hogwash
> was written "excellent." And then quote Yeats on top of
> it. Tsk, tsk, my
> friend.
> > That is my point: Susana Miller is a so-so dancer with
> an over-inflated reputation, not an important and
> influential one. She just got more publicity.
> Amen, Charles. And she "got" more publicity because she
> found more
> suckers at, evidently, the opportune moment.
> > The only reason her "close embrace" approach was novel
> was because it appealed to people who had no sense of
> tango history or never learned tango correctly in the
> first place.
> Nor have many of them learned how to dance correctly
> since. As a
> teacher, I'm _constantly_ correcting the worse habits of
> her goddamn
> McMilonguero style, which are as close to choreography as
> the most
> number-based sequence is.
>
> If it wasn't for her, conscientious teachers might have
> very little to
> do indeed.
> > It is sad when the traditional way of dancing is
> forgotten or ignored to the point that someone can come
> along and market it as
> > if it were a new way of dancing.
> >
> Sad, yes; but a false alternative is false nonetheless--
> as you,
> Charles, seem to imply. As for the rest of you-- never
> [...]

  Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh’s most popular social dance!
  http://patangos.home.comcast.net/