[Tango-L] Fame and photos

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 16 17:07:54 EDT 2007

--- Crrtango at aol.com wrote:

> Because so many people in the U.S. teach performance and
stage tango (i.e. open embrace) instead of traditional
social tango, which is what "close embrace" is basically,
> she seemed like a novelty. Older dancers here and
> especially milongueros and milongueras in Buenos Aires
saw that she was just teaching what they had been
> doing all their lives.

Susana Miller's influence was in the teaching, not the
dancing.  Many of the old-timers had no idea how they did
what they did.  (Several instructors have told me the same
story of how they asked their fathers to teach them when
they were in their twenties and their fathers basically
said "you just do it".)  Susana filmed and studied the
milongueros, notably Tete, and broke the combinations down.

BTW, I took several workshops with Tete earlier this year,
but I wouldn't call them productive.  He showed a figure
and basically said, "just do it".  Only he kept changing
the figure.  He's a nice guy, though, and I enjoyed
watching him and Silvia dance.

It's important to recall that this was at a time when women
were not supposed to be teaching.  (Graciela Gonazalez got
heck for teaching a women's technique class!)  Some people
also made it difficult for Susana (I don't know all of the
details), but I'm grateful that she continued her efforts
and can appreciate her strength.  And I'm grateful that
Christopher & Caroline of San Francisco and Robert Hauk
brought her to the States to teach.

Trini de Pittsburgh

  Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh’s most popular social dance!
  http://patangos.home.comcast.net/