[Tango-L] Playing copyrighted music at milongas

ceverett@ceverett.com ceverett at ceverett.com
Mon Aug 6 17:53:26 EDT 2007

Most venues pay a monthly fee to ASCAP for playing music, just like
milongas pay SADAIC.  Events at such a venue are covered automatically.
If you host a private party and you have a friend DJ for free as a
favor, you don't have to pay a thing.  If you rent a hall and charge an
entrada, and the hall doesn't have an agreement in place with ASCAP,
then you would have to decide if you wanted to talk to ASCAP or not.

ASCAP and SADAIC have reciprocal agreements in place to collect money
for each other.  I would be surprised if SADAIC ever got a check from
ASCAP though.

We've had flamewars on the topic of royalty payments for tango music
before.  To summarize:

SIDE A: the real crime is the beating that music in general has taken
from culturally illiterate monopolists.

SIDE B: only major studio support can make me the next pop music
superstar, so I'll go with side C.

SIDE C: All the music belongs to us.  We decide what, where and when
it's available.

You can assign labels to each side as you see fit.

Christopher