[Tango-L] Tango Competition in Buenos Aires

tangosmith@cox.net tangosmith at cox.net
Mon Aug 6 14:10:07 EDT 2007

I think it is safe to say that Janis’s preferences and biases are pretty
well-known here.  Anyone who follows this list very long knows where she is
coming from.  Competitions, particularly those in BA, are part of the tango
world whether we care for them or not.  And Manuel is correct; competition
among dancers has existed as long as there has been tango.  The
competitions attract hundreds of people and generate a lot of interest.
Personally, I appreciate hearing the view of a skeptic like Janis who is on
the ground.  Otherwise, the only news available on them would likely come
from there own press releases.   And questioning why Janis would report
information about them given her views is like expecting all war
correspondents to be in favor of war.  Ridiculous.  Fortunately, I’m pretty
sure Janis is not the type to let a little criticism deter her.

As far as the competitions themselves, I share the opinion that judging
virtually any artistic creation as being the best or better than someone
else’s creation is relatively meaningless.  Regardless of the number of
rules imposed, it will always be too highly subjective, too personal.
However, having said that, I am also for anything that generates increased
interest in our Argentine tango.  No one has convinced me that competition,
whether in tango, ballroom, art, or movies, regardless of its general
validity, serves to stifle interest rather than to generate attention and
interest.  The more people who become interested in tango, the more rich
and diverse our community will become, thereby increasing its’ chance of
survival.
Cynically, it sometimes seems to me that some are more interested in
continuing to play the big fish in a small pond rather than trying to
increase the size and number of fish in the pond.  In deference to Chris
UK’s perhaps appropriate low opinion of many teachers, sometimes I am
afraid that were it not for teachers marketing Argentine tango, social
tango would simply die out, overtaken by far easier and accessible dances.

Some have said here correctly than the type of tango at competitions and
choreographed performances is considerably removed from social tango, and
therefore builds false expectations.  And for those who become interested
enough to try tango themselves, it is true that some will be disappointed
and leave, but there will also be others who find the “real” social tango
can be even more amazing, for all the reasons most of us here know.  If
social tango is to survive, there must continue to be visible vehicles that
capture people’s attention and imagination, to draw them to it, even if it
sometimes is a little bait and switch.  Some will find it was well worth
it.

WBSmith