[Tango-L] YouTube question

Barbara Garvey barbara at tangobar-productions.com
Sat Aug 4 18:11:52 EDT 2007

Hi all,
I have a question about YouTube videos and copywrite.  Having read the
copywrite
notice on the YouTube website it seems that no tango videos could
legitimately be
posted, since they all involve copywrited music. So does one just ignore
that?

It seems to me that practice on YouTube is not consistent with the
guidelines -- any
advice???

Al and I have some great video footage of dancers not available
elsewhere, but of
course it all involves music. Also, when a video is posted of a couple
dancing (in public,
at a milonga or festival, for example) is their permission obtained
(always, sometimes,
never?) We have clips of Lampazo and Orlando Paiva, taken at our house,
for example.

Is it okay to post a video taken at exhibitions at milongas? Is there a
time factor (10 years,
20, etc?). Some of our friends we know are/were very sensitive to even
showing their
videos to strangers, so that we would obviously honor.

We also have video of performances at Nora's TangoWeek --we could email
the couples in question for permission to post, but there remains the music.
Thanks for any input,
Barbara
www.tangobar-productions.com