[Tango-L] Finding Clarity in Tango

Stephen.P.Brown@dal.frb.org Stephen.P.Brown at dal.frb.org
Wed Aug 1 14:11:04 EDT 2007

I am sympathetic with the idea that we should write with clarity.  English
is a language full of nuances and we all bring so many presuppositions to
reading what others have written that I am not sure that is completely
possible for us to completely understand each other.

Often on Tango-L we end up discussing what seems to be misrepresentations
of each others' ideas.  Comments are taken out of their original context
and then pounced upon for seeming proof of idiocy--as if we were no better
than policiticians.  ;-)

Tango Content(?):

1)  I believe it is completely possible to offer introductory tango
classes that enable newbies to successfully participate in milongas in
about 6-8 weeks.  They won't be the best dancers, but they are
sufficiently prepared to dance tango and stay out of the way of others.
One way that I know works in doing this is teaching tango as small
elements and emphasizing rhythmic movement.

2)  How long it takes to progress from newbie to the sufficient mastery
necessary to be regarded as an accomplished tango dancer varies so greatly
across individuals and depends on so many factors that it is beyond my
ability to predict such progress,

3)  Instruction can be helpful in learning tango, BUT tango pedagogy is
relatively new, and there is some debate about which methods work best.

4)  Much of what is represented as tango instruction doesn't do much more
than convey the instructor's own style of dancing.  This criticism doesn't
apply to everyone who teaches tango.

5)  Practicing can be quite useful in developing skills, BUT practice can
be a waste and practicing by oneself removes the context of tango.

6)  All of us must find our own tango in our own hearts and souls.   Good
instruction takes the student to the door, but those who become tangos
dancers must step through the door themselves.

7)  Upon finding our own tango, most of us will discover that some or much
of what we were taught to be useless, but that doesn't mean we didn't
benefit from the instruction.  The seeming misdirection and missteps are
part of the learning process.

8)  Tango is simple, the more you know about it, the more obvious its
simplicity becomes.  It is not easy, it is maybe even hard.

9)  The insights we gain in finding our own tango, aren't likely to be
understood by those who haven't found their own tango.  They may even be
misunderstood by others who have found their own tango.

10)  When a teacher uses extensive class time trying to explain their own
understanding of an inner essence, they are likely to be wasting their own
efforts and their students' time.  When it comes to movement, knowledge
cannot be poured in a student's ear.  Dancers develop best through their
own experience of movement.

With best regards,
Steve (de Tejas)

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is."  -- Bill Clinton