[Tango-L] Can you hear the music?

Janis Kenyon Jantango at feedback.net.ar
Sat Apr 28 13:49:44 EDT 2007

I go to a milonga for two reasons: (1) to listen to the music, and (2) to
dance.  It has become a challenge in the past year or so to find milongas
where the deejay programs excellent tandas on a good sound system, and where
people listen to the music and dance well.

The noise level in some venues makes it impossible to hear the music while
dancing.  People on and off the floor converse continuously.

I now realize why so many older couples are content to be together every
Saturday night in a milonga without talking.  They go to enjoy the music as
if it were a concert and dance.

What do foreign visitors think about the noise in the Buenos Aires milongas?
What is more important to dancers at your milonga--the music or
conversation?