[Tango-L] The Business of Milongas

Gulden Ozen gulden at tangophilia.com
Tue Apr 24 12:52:00 EDT 2007

The answer to your question could be either B or C but not A, not even in
large cities.
The admission you may be able to charge for a regular monthly milonga cannot
exceed $15/person including food and beverages, in most cases.
Without food and/or beverages included, the max. admission fee is usually
around $10/person. In some cities/communities like ours, organizers make a
special effort to offer discounts for students.
With the rentals and publicity expenses in a not-so-expensive city, a
milonga can fund itself if the minimum number of participants is around
~40-50.
If we're talking about "making a decent living", one should perhaps look
into possibilities other than organizing tango events (or even teaching
tango!).

Having organized regular weekly/monthly milongas and special milongas over
the last 9 years, I can tell you that it is a labor of love not a way to
make any kind of living :-)

Best,

Gulden Ozen