[Tango-L] Gavito cont.

Crrtango@aol.com Crrtango at aol.com
Mon Apr 23 10:07:53 EDT 2007

Sorry, hit send button.

Gavito taught us that it was not necessary to do elaborate steps. It really
was about feeling and music. All the steps one learns are about learning to
dance better, with quality of movement, not about more elaborate steps. Some
tango "stars" want you do dance like them. Gavito wanted you to dance well. One of
my all-time favorite tango quotes was his, when commenting about someone
doing showy steps on the floor:   "Remember, you are not a bunch of washing
machines."

The Sunday night milonga at DanceSport is a nice one with good space,
atmosphere and good music. It is hard to mention a milonga without it being an
advertisement of sorts. So what? That is not what her posting was about. It was
about the spirit of Gavito. I miss him, as do many. Check it out when you are here
in NYC. Or if not, check out some of the others. New York has become a great
place for it. There are milongas every night, sometimes four to choose from.

Relax, or better yet, practice your walking. Gavito would have liked that.

cheers,
Charles