[Tango-L] Embrace (Huck)

Andreas Wichter andreas at tangokombinat.de
Fri Apr 20 13:30:29 EDT 2007

Hello Huck,

I think you and Deby are talking about 2 different things, but no
matter.
The problem you have with the embrace seen in the 9 puntos video is one
that is not due to the embrace or the woman´s arm position per se, but
to bad technique, often bad balance on the woman´s part. And I believe
that women are fully strong enough to hold their own arms up. You
wouldn´t carry their right arm for them, would you? Or maybe you´re
more of a gentleman than I am ;-)
The thing is that the embrace Melina uses here requires more skill on
the woman´s part than one where her arm is draped over the man´s
shoulder. One reason for this is that if she leans on you using her arm
the point where her weight meets you is closer to your center if her
arm reaches high. In the "9 puntos embrace" any weight she gives you,
be it from leaning or from plain bad balance (leaning to her left often
happens) will have a strong leverage by being far off-center, so it is
bothersome for your own balance.
Another problem is the squeeze that I think you refer to: in looking
for a good connection, some women tend to rely on their left arm or
elbow to "pull" themselves in, which results in squeezing the man´s arm
with theirs, thus restricting the man´s movement.
The long-term solution is for the woman to practice more (but who´s
gonna tell her?). The short-term solution I use in such a case is to
gently move her arm over my shoulder.
And btw: Melina knows how to do it well.

Cheers,
Andreas