[Tango-L] Embrace

Huck Kennedy huck at eninet.eas.asu.edu
Thu Apr 19 19:56:02 EDT 2007

Deby Novitz <dnovitz at lavidacondeby.com> writes:

> The embrace you are referring to with the left arm hanging down was
> danced here for the last 2 years.  It is now on the way out. You don't
> see it that much.

     That sounds like a good thing to me that it is
going away, based upon my experience with it.  We're
talking about "9 Puntos" on tangodesalon.de/en/evideo.htm,
right?  For those who haven't seen the video and want
to, notice how her left arm cuts across his right upper
arm during most of the video.  I guess this must work for
them or they wouldn't do it, but it seems to me that for
many couples, unless she is somehow miraculously using
a lot of arm strength (which many women don't exactly
have in abundance) to keep the weight of her arm from
cutting into his upper arm, he is probably going to feel
a lot of pressure as the tanda wears on.

     I've actually had my right arm start to go to sleep
and get first very painful, and then numb, from this kind
of continued pressure.  It can be extremely annoying, to
the point where I finally cannot go on dancing without
asking my partner to please move her arm to someplace
else, a rather awkward request to have to make at best.  :(

Huck