[Tango-L] musicality

Jake Spatz (TangoDC.com) spatz at tangoDC.com
Wed Apr 18 05:44:27 EDT 2007

Lest anyone be misled (or mis-followed)...

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) wrote:
> Hi Randy,
>
> You're correct in thinking that always having ankles or
> knees together on the half-beat (upbeat) limits one's
> musicality.
Collecting on the half-beat IS good form. That's the theme that gives
you potent variations. Nor is "half-beat" synonymous with "upbeat,"
unless the downbeat is all you care to "step on."

I'd also add (to the discussion of walking analysis) that a pivot ISN'T
"part of a step," unless you're dancing slop. Rather, I'd say that
pivots, pauses, and steps are all parts of the dance, but (in dancers
with good form) distinct ones.

I'd venture further and say that plenty of experienced dancers, under
examination, in fact have quite poor form because:
    (a) they don't collect with enough precision (either their legs, or
their axis over their support-- it amounts to the same defect)
    (b) their pivots have no integrity

These simple things from Year One are worth a lot of attention (nor am I
above this critique). If, that is, the word "technique" has any relation
in your thinking to the word "beauty." If it does not--

"Horseman, pass by."

Jake Spatz
DC