[Tango-L] Leading vs. Following

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Wed Apr 11 14:53:53 EDT 2007

Manuel wrote:

> I agree with you in that it might not be useful to compare
leading vs.  following . However, I completely  disagree in
that leading is mental and following is physical.
Manuel:
I exaggerated to make a point. Think of a continuum with
physical and mental at the extremes:

Physical-----------------------------------------------------------------Mental

Boleos
      Navigation
Ganchos
      Musicality

Women dance closer to the "physical" end of the continuum
while men dance closer to the "mental" end. Women shouldn't
have to worry about navigation because they can't see
traffic themselves.

The point I was trying to make is that different skills are
required for good leading and following and it doesn't make
sense saying one skill is more difficult than the other.

Michael
Washington, DC
Still waiting to hear from the orthopedist about my torn
Achilles Tendon

I'd rather be dancing Argentine Tango