[Tango-L] Evolution of the Embrace

Caroline Polack runcarolinerun at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 9 15:52:17 EDT 2007

Was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of historical archives
that outlines the evolution of the embrace? From what I understood,
close-embrace was a result of increased crowding on the dance floors. But
then I would hear that close-embrace had been the norm since the advent of
tango.

I'm somewhat confused because when I look at old films, it's open. When I
look at films showing tango from the 1950's to early 1980's, it's open
again. Seems that only in the past few decades, close-embrace became the
norm.

Being a history major - I am really interested to find out.

thanks,

Caroline