[Tango-L] Backleading

NANCY ningle_2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 6 20:51:55 EDT 2007

Backleading only perpetuates bad leading and does not
prepare the follower to be a good follower.  This is
evident in group classes where the woman steers
herself through what she believes should be her moves
with no help from the leader.  He then expects
followers who have not taken the same class to move
without his lead.  That's the guy who gives  verbal
leads.  "OK, now here you are supposed to do a boleo."
 Oops!  I didn't take that class or watch that video.
Guess you will have to bite the bullet and lead me.

It may be forgiveable for a female teacher to backlead
once to give the guy the feeling  but beyond that it
is fraudulent.  And any follower who continues to
dance with bad dancers is in for some real pain in her
lower back and hips.  And yes, they will continue to
be bad dancers because the worst leaders still have
many women waiting to dance with them.  And that's OK,
too, because they are perfect for one another.  And I
am not talking years in the milongas here, I am
talking about posture, embrace, balance, navigation,
musicality and caring for the partner - even if it is
only simple walking.  It is the guy who is trying the
15 step combination he just learned in a 60 minute
workshop who is incapable of maintaining the beat or
navigating properly.

They don't call them "leader" and "follower" for
nothing, folks!

<<Rito es la danza en tu vida
     y el tango que tu amas
     te  quema en su llama>>