[Tango-L] Can somebody shed some light on the subject?

Kace kace at pacific.net.sg
Tue Apr 3 23:25:13 EDT 2007

Michael wrote:
> Based on the responses I've read, cabeceo is just about an all or nothing proposition. It's not going to work if only 20% of the attendees use it, because you'll never figure out who the 20% are. I'm theorizing there's probably a critical mass where 80% of the attendees have to use it or it's not going to work.

I agree that most of the participants at a milonga should participate in
the "game" of
cabaceo if it is to become a norm. Unfortunately this is often
impossible to acheive
if most of the community is new.

As milonga organisers, we do our homework by paying attention to level
of lighting,
conducive seating arrangement, and playing longer cortinas to clear the
floor between
tandas.  But even these cannot enforce a codigo.

A visiting teacher suggested that we may try printing place mats that
contain
information about milonga etiquettes like cabaceos, tandas and cortinas, and
leave them on the tables.

We are going to try this out to see if it works.

Kace
tangosingapore.com