[Tango-L] Can somebody shed some light on the subject?

NANCY ningle_2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 3 15:09:20 EDT 2007

--- Alex <alex at tangofuego.us> wrote:
sAs. Tom Stermitz did this
> a couple of festivals ago in Denver - one of the
> milongas had separate
> women's, men's and couples/groups areas. I liked it.
> The problem is, this
> doesn't really work across a vast dance floor
> (especially if dimly lit) -
> cabeceo seems to be more suited to the smaller, more
> intimate venues of
> Buenos Aires.

The reason it didn't work at that festival in Denver
is because folks didn't sit down during the cortinas (
which were too brief) so that one could find the
person one wanted to dance with next - they didn't
even wait to see what music would play so they could
select accordingly.  Many men grabbed the hand of some
woman who was walking off and then remained on the
floor so no one could see around them.

The problem in Atlanta is that the men don't sit down
or stand
at an angle to the women so they can catch their eye.
 They COULD move away from the door and go to the side
of the floor.

I can catch a cabaceo from the far end of Ideal while
seated behind six other women.

Nancy