[Tango-L] Can somebody shed some light on the subject

Nina Pesochinsky nina at earthnet.net
Tue Apr 3 12:39:52 EDT 2007

Dani,

You seem to keep responding to the topics that
you say do not interest you.  I would never
suggest getting off the list because I believe
that it would bring drastic changes, such as
complete and absolute boredom, that would be too
difficult to manage :-).  But it sounds like the
majority of topics that people write about
torment you greatly.  Is there some other way to
manage the discomfort than complain about the topics of the conversation?

Dani's comments bring another questions - what is
it that contributes to people's discomfort when
the discomfort of others becomes obvious?  Why
should it bother any of us if someone has not
learned to use cabeceo or is not comfortable with
it, or just wants to talk about it?

I think that cabeceo is a hot topic in cultures
where people do not walk on the streets and do
not make frequent eye contact with
strangers.  Eye contact is scary for people when
it is deemed to be too personal.  I believe that
American culture is not comfortable with eye
contact.  People are just trying to find their
way with it in tango when they are discussing it on the list.

Also, the unspoken often makes people
uncomfortable.  Eye contact goes beyond the
cognitive.  That is scary in the cultures where
cognitive abilities (closely linked to language) are highly prized.

Warm regards to all,

Nina