[Tango-L] Red Rover

Carol Shepherd arborlaw at comcast.net
Mon Apr 2 12:55:43 EDT 2007

I do believe there is a gem of conventional wisdom here--women who are
waiting with women get more dances, and men who are grouped with men get
more dances, than do people who are sitting at mixed tables, and dancers
who are waiting alone and not conversing will do the best.

I find this discussion very interesting, and applicable to dances
generally (ie, not only milongas but salsa, swing, ballroom).  It seems
that most of the organized dance scene in the US is structured to enable
socializing as much as if not more than dancing.  I wonder if the
frequency of dancing would improve, if we tried separate men's and
women's sides as an experiment?  (This is essentially a rhetorical
question, I can't imagine this kind of restriction on people's behavior
going over at all--so I don't expect an answer.)

I'm going to contact the local vintage dance group and see if they ever
do anything like this.

My initial reaction is that everyone--couples, singles--would object to
not sitting in the groups they desire to interact with.  Have any of the
US organizers on this list tried anything like this?

Carol Shepherd

Nina Pesochinsky wrote:
> So create a milonga where ushers seat the men and women
> separately.  Women will not be likely to mosey on over to the men's
> side to ask  in person any of them to dance because it is scary over

Carol Ruth Shepherd
Arborlaw PLC
Ann Arbor MI USA
734 668 4646 v  734 786 1241 f
http://arborlaw.com

"legal solutions for 21st century businesses"